- I ate almost an entire sleeve of Lemonade cookies over 2 days. Damnit.
- I was marveling at an older lady in the store the other day and how well put together she was. I really aspire to be that way.
- But then I remember I'm the total mess who wears superhero t-shirts and ate a sleeve of Lemonade cookies. Probably not going to happen in this lifetime.
- The "kids" who worked for me way back in Boy Scout camp have found me on Facebook. It sort of ruined my vision of them not aging when I see them with kids and lives of their own. But still adorable to know where they are now.
- On the good side of things, seeing the sun has been glorious. I've really missed the sun.
February 21, 2017
at 9:19 AM
February 20, 2017
- C-man didn't wrestle this weekend. His arm was still hurting him, and I didn't think being the Laconia champ would make much of a difference in our lives long-term. He still went to cheer on the team, though.
- Beerman and I gloriously stayed home and got housework done. I mean, I actually washed the outside of my house windows. In February! What an unbelievable gift this weekend was.
- Not to mention, Beasley got walked a bit since the weather was so fantastic, which was good for both of us.
- The cookie pushers showed up with their Girl Scout cookies today. Jerks. I've got to give these things away. Fast. Today's a high pain day. So having cookies in front of me is a bad thing.
- No wrestling meets this week. Well, except for high school state which is for 3 straight days. Just what I always wanted to do.
- Here's to making it through the week!
at 12:52 PM
February 17, 2017
Last night, we went to West Milwaukee for C-man to wrestle with the middle school. At about 20 seconds into the first period, he got an injury timeout. His right arm was hurting, and he had tears. The coach talked to him for a bit, and then sent him back out where C-man fought hard, but was down 2-4. It felt like he was being manhandled much worse than the score showed, but he wasn't getting scored on.
In the second period, they fought for a bit, and C-man got put to his back. I was sure he was pinned at least 3 times. But I saw a moment when he decided he wasn't going to go down, and he fought hard, crunching up so the guy couldn't get his back down. For about 1:20, that kid fought.
Then it was time for the third period. His arm was clearly hurting him bad, and he couldn't pull the kid around with his right hand. He got put to his back again, nearly being pinned again. But then the kid got a little too high, the coach shouted, "To your left!" and C-man amazingly flipped around and got on top.
The team and the crowd went absolutely wild. After all this time of nobody thinking he was going to make it, he was on top.
His coach yelled for him to look up to put more pressure on the other kid. But being in the third period after having spent most of his time fighting off being pinned, there was no smile this time.
And then he flipped him over fully, and the ref's hand came down with a loud whomp.
I didn't know whether to cheer or throw up.
And he was hurt, exhausted, and just spent, barely making it through the team's congratulatory lineup. The determination on this kid is ridiculous. I was so proud of him for not giving it up, especially after we'd just talked on Tuesday about how bad kids feel when they realize they gave up.
A little while later, C-man said the pain was not subsiding in his elbow, and he heard a crack when it started to hurt. Being experienced in these matters, I took him straight to urgent care for some x-rays at his request. Preliminary results are a sprained elbow, and he's in a sling, but no break. (We high fived about that - he was just sick with anticipation of the results) He's supposed to wrestle on Sunday, but we'll see. The good news is he now has a 2 week break from middle school wrestling, and since high school state is next weekend, he won't wrestle then either.
So here's to determination and healing!
at 9:44 AM
February 16, 2017
- I had my work health assessment this morning. I passed all five markers, which was good, because it's worth $600. But the best part was she rang me in at 5'6". Somehow I magically grew an inch. It must be all that stinky broccoli.
- C-man has another wrestling dual tonight.
- I have another unbearable, awful headache. Thankfully, I'm going to the chiropractor tomorrow and a massage on Saturday.
- Only one more day to go. Whoot.
at 11:03 AM
February 15, 2017
- Last night's wrestling dual was a success. The team won, and C-man pinned his guy.
- The coach has been telling the kids to look up to get their picture taken as a way to get them to arch and put more pressure on the opponent. C-man took it literally.
- Then we went to the high school sectional dual, which wasn't so positive. But who can say no to a romantic drive through Culvers dinner?
- I went to the spinal surgeon today. He was surprised, based on the MRI results, that I wasn't having other issues, too. But the good news is he's referring me to a pain management doctor. That means probably no surgery, but instead, burning a couple of nerves in my vertebra. So I'm hopeful.
- You know things are bad when ablating nerves sounds positive.
- He was still dire about the future degeneration from arthritis, though. I always hate hearing that, even though I know it's real.
- Beerman just wants to know what superpowers I'll get in the process. I'm hoping for adamantium.
- I could really use a drink.
at 11:57 AM
February 14, 2017
- Happy Valentines Day. Or, as we know it around here - Happy Two Wrestling Duals Day!
- Apparently last night, the wrestling coach was lecturing the kids about getting their heads up and arching. He told them to look at Mrs. Rysewyk so she can take your picture. Funny, because it's totally true. I love when they look up.
- Someone brought funfetti cake into work. So delightful.
- In other fun news, I found a new focus button on my camera. I've been irritated with the lack of sharpness in my photos lately, so I'm hoping this helps.
- I think I'm going to need a quiet "me" day soon. I've been feeling sort of overwhelmed with it all lately. Or maybe it's just the lack of sleep.
at 9:50 AM
February 13, 2017
- Tomorrow is Valentines Day. I get to spend it at not one, but two, wrestling meets. One for C-man and one for the high school who made it to regionals for the very first time. My life is so very glamorous and romantic.
- My back is hurting so bad, I'm only getting an hour or two of sleep at a time. I'm really hoping this spinal surgeon gives me something good on Thursday.
- The lack of sleep is leaving me in a perpetual crabby state of sleep deprivation. It's not a great way to be.
- I've been so busy with stuff, that I haven't had much of a chance to take photos like I'd wanted to this year. It's a bad precedent, because editing wrestling photos has become a real grind.
- On Saturdays, I've been getting up before the sun to get Beasley to the park. He hasn't been very well behaved, but without a run, he'll go crazy. So that's our compromise. An old lady always shows up at sunrise with her pitbull mix. She swears like a sailor about her damn dog, and I love her. It's become my sleep deprived quiet time. Damn dog.
at 2:35 PM